Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American Empty
PostSubject: Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American   Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Rep. Amash: Congress last night gave massive new domestic surveillance powers to the President
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 20:35

Editor
AgainstCronyCapitalism
12/10/2014

The below commentary and letter were just posted to Representative Justin Amash’s Facebook page. I post here for your review.

When I learned that the Intelligence Authorization Act for FY 2015 was being rushed to the floor for a vote—with little debate and only a voice vote expected (i.e., simply declared “passed” with almost nobody in the room)—I asked my legislative staff to quickly review the bill for unusual language. What they discovered is one of the most egregious sections of law I’ve encountered during my time as a representative: [b]It grants the executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American.[B/]

On Wednesday afternoon, I went to the House floor to demand a roll call vote on the bill so that everyone’s vote would have to be recorded. I also sent the letter below to every representative.

With more time to spread the word, we would have stopped this bill, which passed 325-100. Thanks to the 99 other representatives—44 Republicans and 55 Democrats—who voted to protect our rights and uphold the Constitution. And thanks to my incredibly talented staff.

Read the Congressman’s letter at AgainstCronyCapitalism.

Related:   Land Grab Provisions Attached to NDAA Draw Ire From Cruz and Coburn

The inclusion of a public lands package in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) compromise has drawn criticism from two prominent conservative voices in the upper chamber.

Meanwhile, some Republican lawmakers are celebrating the inclusion.

“The decision to attach an extreme land grab to the NDAA is a disservice to members of the Armed Forces,” says Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), in statement. “With the military’s shrinking budget, it is offensive that this bill would be used to fund congressional pork. And, at a time where jobs are scarce and the federal government has removed billions of acres of land from productive use, Congress should not be restricting more than a half-million new acres.”

“The House and Senate should reject this attempt by self-serving politicians to exploit the men and women of the military to serve their special interests,” he urges…

Source: http://commonamericanjournal.com/rep-amash-congress-last-night-gave-massive-new-domestic-surveillance-powers-to-the-president/
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American   Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2014 10:24 pm

I believe "turnkey tyranny" is the term Snowden uses.
Back to top Go down

Grants executive branch virtually unlimited access to the communications of every American
Page 1 of 1