Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! Empty
PostSubject: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 5:44 pm

cheers   I just discovered this guy about 4-6 weeks ago on youtube and wow- can he ever sing. If you like blues/gospel/soul then you have to hear this former front man for the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies! 

Here's some links:
My youtube Mike Farris playlist (which I've just started to fill):
Internet Pilgrim's Mike Farris playlist

Mike Farris was installing sink when he learned of Grammy nod

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: good music!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am

Oh Yeah!    classical
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 3:00 am

Psychedelic Cat - what a great name and avatar you have!  It's fitting that you seem to find Farris as good as I do. I can't get enough of the guy & now I've also moved into listening to his work with the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies. Some great stuff there too, though I'd never heard of them when they actually were still recording/performing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: more great music   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 3:05 pm

This guy's music is great, even if it is a bit secular.  His name is Hank Marvin.  He played with a band from England called 'The Shadows'.  Check him out!  

Same tune some yrs. earlier...

headphones
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: mo' music...   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Here are a couple of 'Christian Blues' acts that are pretty cool too...

Cool
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 4:06 pm

WOW, learn something new every day. I never knew that The Shadows were the original recording of this. I always thought it was the Jorgen Ingmann version that was the original. Everybody and their grandma's covered this song. Anyway, the 1961 Ingmann version is the one Americans are most familiar with. I remember they played it every 5 minutes it seemed on the radio. I was 9 years old and loved this song every time it played. Still do.

Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! Apache_by_The_Shadows

Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! Jorgen-Ingman-Apache-1961-Front-Cover-70565

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOsGGq1XIY
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm old enough to remember The Shadows... and Cliff Richard, though after a few years he & the Shadows split.

But as for secular, have you tried SCW?  I've been adding more of their songs to my Mike Farris playlist (linked above in my original post) like this one:

They remind me of early Lynyrd Skynrd, and southern rock from the 70's when it was the best thing going. I just love to watch Allen Collins on this video - such joy in playing that solo, though you know he's played it hundreds of times before.

How about it, researcher? What's your take on Skynyrd, southern rock & SCW's resemblance to it?  happy dance
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Gotta admit that I'd never heard of the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies before this thread. That Gypsy Lullaby song kind of reminded me of Skynard all right and maybe a little like a more rocked out Creedence Clearwater Revival. Sorta reminded me of Fortunate Son. See what you think about that. I was never a big Skynard fan back then though I did like the song Free Bird a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM

Last edited by researcher on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 7:42 pm

That song, "Fortunate Son" always was one of my favorites...seems like we have a similar background & youth experience, as well as similar tastes. Try my southern rock playlist, and let me know what you think:  Southern Rock, Internet Pilgrim's playlist

But what about SCW? What do you think of them? And of Farris, now that he has found Christ & is full throttle for Him?  Mike Farris, Internet Pilgrim's playlist  bounce
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2015 8:33 pm

You know, a number of the people in Lynyrd Skynrd eventually became Christians. Leon Wilkes, the bass player, and Billy Powell, the piano player, as well as Jo Jo Billingsley, one of the back-up singers. They all have their testimonies on YouTube. Here's an interview with Jo Jo, who eventually became a pastor:

She also did an interview with the 700 Club, which is on YouTube. I have hope that other members, like Allen Collins, who suffered a severe car accident and ended his life as a paraplegic, also knew Christ. I look forward to hearing them all in heaven, since all are gone now.
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 am

Psychedelic Cat - I'd never heard of Brooke Lambkin before but she's really good - thanks for the heads up on her.  thank you very much I have a "worship playlist" on youtube with some stuff you might like. Here's one example:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: hot harmonica sounds of coolness!    Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Man!  That dude can sure play the harmonica, and play it well too!!  shofar

Last edited by Psychedelic Cat on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : title clarification mouth harp = jaw's harp...)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Jaws Harp Madness!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Speaking of Jaw's Harp...

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 pm

nice thread
Thanks all! Totally enjoyed listening to these. flower
Back to top Go down
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Psychedelic Cat -  I always thought it was called a "Jew's Harp" and not a "Jaw's Harp."  But he's good at it, whatever it's called.  Since I'm posting anyway, I thought I'd load another video for everyone to enjoy, from my youtube "worship playlist". It's live, Glass Harp featuring Phil Keaggy, the ultimate guitarist, and Pittsburgh's own, B.E. Taylor, doing Clapton's "Presence of the Lord" :

woo hoo! enjoy the show

BTW, all are Christians; God sure spread some talent among His kids!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!   Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Farris - woo hoo! Blues/gospel - fantastic!
Page 1 of 1