Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

O Christmas Tree

Go down 
AuthorMessage

O Christmas Tree  Empty
PostSubject: O Christmas Tree    O Christmas Tree  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2016 10:11 pm

O Christmas Tree 
Commentary on the News 
Thursday, December 15, 2016 
J.L. Robb 

In case you missed it, last week an Indiana town removed the Cross from the top of the town Christmas tree. 

According to news reports:

Quote :
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit on behalf of a town resident alleging the placement of the lit up cross on top of the town Christmas tree is an unconstitutional violation of church and state, a local outlet reported. Afraid they would lose the lawsuit and be forced to pay expensive legal fees, the town council voted to remove the cross for good.
Quote :
"It is with regret and sadness that the Knightstown Town council has had the cross removed from the Christmas tree on the town square and is expected to approve a resolution at the next council meeting stating they will not return the cross to the tree,” the Knightstown Town Council said in a statement regarding the decision.

The Reason for the Season can be celebrated as long as Jesus Christ is not mentioned and nothing denoting Christianity is a part of the tree. This during Christmas season, thanks to the ACLU and a single town resident who complained about a cross on a Christmas Tree.

From St. Augustine, Florida, a customer last week at Michael’s Tasting Room complained about the Christmas music being religious. On his/her receipt was written:

Quote :
"Christmas music was offensive. Consider playing holiday music or less religious-themed."

A customer complains about Christian Christmas music being played during Christmas Season in a restaurant located in the nation’s oldest city, named after a Saint.

What exactly is holiday music? St. Patrick’s Day has St. Patrick’s Day songs; Memorial Day has Memorial music; Veteran’s Day has Veteran’s music. But because of the misinterpretation by liberals in the Supreme Court of the United States of the “church and state clause,” Jesus Christ cannot be mentioned, referred to or symbolized in any way on the public square, which includes schools.

The ACLU and a few atheists have rewritten the Christmas tree into the dark and dismal basement of political correctness, replaced by the “holiday” tree and made-up holidays to make other cultures feel good.

The ACLU and atheist attacks on Christmas and anything Christian or Jewish is not new, but the reasons are new.

In 17th century America, Christmas was disdained by Pilgrims and Puritans alike and was outlawed in many places. But it had nothing to do with separation of church/state because it was prior to the Revolution. That clause had not yet been created.

Pilgrims and Puritans banned Christmas because December 25 is not mentioned in the Bible, and they considered the celebration as pagan.

In 1681 the Massachusetts law banning Christmas was repealed, but the very religious people of the day were not sold on the idea.  Samuel Davies (1723-1761), an evangelist and Presbyterian minister at the time, described the day of celebration as a day of “sinning, sexuality, luxury and various forms of extravagance, as though men were not celebrating the birth of the holy Jesus, but of Venus, or Bacchus, whose most sacred rites were mysteries of iniquity and debauchery."

Once Christmas was no longer banned, there were still plenty who disagreed. There was little celebration or newspaper advertising, because Christmas was basically just another day. In 1870, after the Civil War, Christmas was declared a national holiday. Of course, with that declaration, Christmas celebrations became a common part of the school curriculum and there were manger scenes on the town square. No one was complaining about the Cross at the top of the Christmas tree or the “religious” songs.

The naysayers of previous years changed their views, and Christmas became a time of giving to others.

In an October 22, 2015, CNN report, then Presidential front-runner Donald Trump stated his plan to change the trend to a generic, secular holiday, a holiday that doesn’t hurt the feelings of non-Christians. His plan is to bring Christ back to Christmas. This from Trump:

"I'm a good Christian," the Republican presidential front-runner said. "If I become president, we're gonna be saying Merry Christmas at every store ... You can leave happy holidays at the corner."

This is not a statement one would expect to hear from the left, an endorsement of Jesus. They are too busy endorsing important stuff like a third bathroom for boys who think they are girls and football teams that pray. Why celebrate the birth of the Savior?

But when things get tough enough, even they will “get religion.” They always do, it seems.

I hope that we in the U.S. have a long and hard look at the “Separation Clause” and what it was to prevent. For those who seem to have it figured out and that the story of God cannot be mentioned in schools and the public square, wouldn’t you think the Founding Fathers would have understood that too? They had a lot different idea than the ACLU and our Supreme Court:

Quote :
"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God. The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity." ~John Adams, Founding Father, Second President
Quote :
"Being a Christian is a character which I prize far above all this world has or can boast. The Bible is a book worth more than all the other books that were ever printed. This is all the inheritance I can give to my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one, which will make them rich indeed."~ Patrick Henry, Founding Father
Quote :
"I am a Christian in the only sense in which He wished anyone to be: sincerely attached to His doctrines in preference to all others. I am a real Christian that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ." ~Thomas Jefferson
Quote :
"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts." ~John Jay, First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

When the Founders were taking proposals for the design of the Seal of the United States, here were a couple of ideas:

Quote :
“Moses lifting his wand and dividing the Red Sea.” ~Benjamin Franklin
Quote :
“The children of Israel in the wilderness, led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.” ~Thomas Jefferson

The Founding Fathers clearly understood the Separation Clause since they were responsible for the clause. Their vision was inclusive of the Almighty, not exclusive. It is modern society who does not understand. They do not understand a lot, but they have the bathroom thing under control.

Put the Cross back on the tree Knightstown, Indiana.

Side note: Residents of Knightstown are outraged at the city council and are now putting crosses all over the town tree. They are putting crosses everywhere and handing them out to everyone.

Quote :
For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. ~Isaiah 9:6 NKJV
Back to top Go down

O Christmas Tree
Page 1 of 1