Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

What is Spirituality?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lovisa

PostSubject: What is Spirituality?   Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:29 pm

When you think of spirituality what does it mean to you? Is there an official definition? i haven't looked it up. What i'm beginning to think is that it means having faith when there is reason to fear, having love when there's reason for disdain, being joyful when when you could be upset or mad. i'd love to hear what other people think of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yaddy

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I don't know if there is a definition, but when I hear the word, I immediately think of people who are into meditation.....you know....empty your mind and ...etc.....whatever they do then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lovisa

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Ha ha! It's funny you should say that. That's where i heard the word recently, on a more ethereal type site about the meaning of numbers that you keep seeing over and over again. Smile Still, i'm sure it applies to all people and groups in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dove
Elite

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 am

I did look it up because it's a word I avoid, but maybe couldn't defend why.
The first definition google gives is:(edit:  wait.  it disappeared. lol)
OK-got it...
the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
"the shift in priorities allows us to embrace our spirituality in a more profound way"

I think most people do think of New Age-Old Age philosophies when they hear the word. This definition suggests something very self-centered to me, and not God Centered.
It can and does bring people a measure of success, but not the Everlasting prize unless and until they meet Jesus on their journey.
~~~~

I'm not afraid of knowledge.  And I'm not afraid to put down everything and go to the Source-God, by His Spirit that He has sent to us to bring to mind all that Jesus taught, and much more.
Luke 19: 39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples.  40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

I suspect that IF the Truth of God and God's Truth did not permeate the whole earth from Creation onward, the world would cease to exist.  Even idol worshippers sought help and favor from someone or something greater than themselves.  In other words, the seeds of Truth sustain all of life and Creation, and we can see that even from ancient times.  But it wasn't till God selected the 'right time' to send the Savior to teach us about Himself, to pay for sins, so that He, God, could impart His Spirit into us and therefore into the world again to end the confusion and make Himself known to and commune with all who would seek to find Him.

It's my opinion, now having done it, that there's no need to search through antiquity at all. Most of what we've learned is what God is NOT, now that we know Him through the Son and the Spirit.  And the history of man. Fine, but what does that profit?  The other thing I see in other philosophies, religions, is Truth quickly defiled by men's minds, except for the few whom God chose to work and speak for Him. (Moses, David, the Prophets, et al)
But in all things, today why not go to the SOURCE when He has bid us "Come", and shown us the Way.

And if through some manner of Spirituality a person comes to Jesus (THE WAY), then Praise God.thanks And it doesn't hurt us to be able to 'speak their language', understand their beliefs, if it helps us help them.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1Thessalonians 5:16 -18
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dove
Elite

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm not satisfied with the response I gave, but can't find a brief way to do all the qualifications required.
Being 69 now,  and having have always studied the things we talk about, I ran into meditation along the way.  I've found that effective prayer, worship, meditating on the scriptures and developing a listening ear towards the Spirit within is similar.
Each requires turning from the world, and settling within to a restful and peaceful quietness.

One of the things I've wanted to get to in my ongoing thread is that seeking out God leads us into unfamiliar territory,a whole different way of Living.  Jesus was clear that we would not find Him now in the world, yet we are to Seek Him.

Flesh is flesh and Spirit is Spirit.  And so many are looking for the manifestation of lesser spirits onto the earth.  Well, please make the deduction that if they're spirits, they exist in the spirit, at least at the moment.  In the spirit realm, whether it's 2nd heaven or wherever (the atmosphere on the outside-awareness on the inside) that's not something I needed an answer to; haven't studied it.  But I don't think people would look so hard for them to appear if they realized they're opening doors for that very thing.

And the 'unwashed' and untaught can get into a lot of trouble quickly by seeking the Higher Realms without the Light of Christ.  'Looking neither to the left or the right' is excellent advice.

There was a day, I can tell you when.  Tom Horn was running a 'game' some of us were working on.  Some sort of  'pin the tail on the demon's lair'  by deciphering encrypted clues. That was a 'step too far' off the Path for me to have taken, and it cost me alot.  And I let it stand too long.  But I'm recovering more and more.

For a long time my conversations with other watchers consisted of, 'blah blah blah
..the world..blah blah...satan..blah."  And blah was exactly what we all got out of it.
Life sucking blah.
Then, flat out beat down by the affairs of the world and the underworld and demonic
overlords and the craziness of the deceiver, someone would work up a little faith and utter "But God..."
Wow.  That's bad.  That's pathetic.

One thing we learn in communion with Him is that He's not worried, depressed, or afraid, and it is not His desire for us to ever be so.  He doesn't doubt Who He Is!
Or all that He'll do for us. Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!

I'm not going to say that knowledge of the enemy is bad, UNLESS it infringes on our Knowing the Father. 
If food becomes our body, information does too.  That's easily proven.
If you even read something that scares you, your heart rate and breathing increases,
there's a rush of cortisol, etc.  And we have ample opportunities to be angry with the world, and that often has unintended consequences for us.

We know the Holy Spirit gives Peace and Joy, which is life to the body, heart and mind.  Yes?  We have to be very selective as to what we give entrance.
We can look at the enemy, know it's there, without digesting it and taking it into ourselves.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Last edited by Dove on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lovisa

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Dove wrote:

Yet we know the Holy Spirit gives Peace and Joy, which is life to the body, heart and mind.  Yes?  We have to be very selective as to what we give entrance.
We can look at it, know it's there, without digesting it and taking it into ourselves.

Thanks Dove. i'm working that, and by "working" i mean consciously becoming aware of my thoughts and feelings. Like the other day, i felt something like horror. i knew it would not bring about anything good but it was kind of hard to let go of. Bad habits i guess. i need to choose my thoughts more wisely. Thinking about the solutions instead of the problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dove
Elite

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 am

Yep and good.  I remember the morning I first heard my 'internal dialogue'.  I was shocked and appalled.  Underneath my conscious thought was this 'self talk' running, churning out the most negative, berating, accusing things about myself.  I could say alot about the damage that does~without our even knowing it's happening!  That was something.

Point being, there seems to be more to Overcome than we even realize.  I can see why God said, Keep the Word continually in our mouths, "written" on our hand and forehead. It takes alot to break our old conditioning.

We also know that 'we of ourselves can do nothing'. Around and around we go till we admit we just can't get ourselves to where we want to be, and we give up and turn ourselves over to Him.
That prayer is music to God's ear, I'm sure, and exactly what He's waiting for.  And what He means by 'all our righteousness is as filthy rags'. I can't imagine He was belittling us.  Only pointing out a Truth that He knows and for a time we don't.  We bring our desire and willingness to be changed.  Then HE does all that's required.

So maybe we don't want to be humans anymore. Wink  But be kind to and gentle on yourself, too. It will all come.  "There is therefore now no condemnation to them who are in Christ".

And maybe we have to admit that we cannot do it ourselves, and in continuing prayer we ask for His Conforming Spirit, and the wisdom to live out "Not my Will, but Your Will be Done."
Now yielding doesn't sound so threatening.  We've got a NEW DADDY and a NEW PLACE to live; a place of kindness and gentleness, of beauty and peace, of acceptance, forgiveness and Love.
THIS DADDY we can trust always.  But like any 'newborn' we must be raised up and taught how we should go.  And HE, being a GOOD DADDY, will do exactly that. 
It's not like the Old life.  That must and will pass away, so that All things are made new.
So we let go of how things used to be and embrace the New Life in Him.

Now for everyone who wants to wait for the Pearly Gates for all of this, when do we get 'reborn'?   What is the Power that gets us to the Gates to begin with?  The Holy Spirit~the Power of the Resurrection.
Of course I know, we know, it's 'in part' as the flesh is not redeemed, and The King has not returned.  But we can come and keep coming till That Day. Just keep seeking Him where He can be found, let Him BE His Joy in you, don't let the world even think to get back up from under your feet.

End any conflict within.   There is One God and One Eternal Kingdom and One Truth, and One Way, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  Satan is a liar!
We CAN leave the stage and escape his snare whenever we find the Path.
Then Run towards your Loving Father,  and don't look back.  The changes will (seem to) take care of themselves.
Let God's Truth be our Truth, let His Truth Reign over us. HIS positive thinking is far greater. :tks:Halleluyah!  AND!  We're already there. We have been ushered into the Kingdom.  COME BOLDLY, the Bible says. And by our coming, we can just Let it Be, Let Goodness flow forth, and Trust Him to do all that we cannot.

2 Corin. 10  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:  (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)  casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;  and having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Spirituality?   

Back to top Go down

What is Spirituality?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1