Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bible Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jem2

PostSubject: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 am

The bible seems to distinguish between Jacob and Israel, such as in Isaiah 44:1.

Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen:

Of course Jacob was renamed Israel by Jehovah so both names apply to one being.

Throughout the bible Jehovah calls him one or the other and it seems to me that the name(s) also apply to his descendants so i'm wondering what the distinction could be. Maybe Jacob is his physical descendants and Israel is his spiritual descendants? Do you have any thoughts or knowledge about this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael371
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 11:28 am

jacob is the 12 tribes....israel is the northern kingdom....that is in most cases that i can think of, right off the cuff.....judah is the southern kingdom, we know that...let me do some looking around....in the book of revelation, isael and jacob are mentioned separately........there is a little secret that God is holding out on for the future concerning the northern kingdom....according to all jewish historians,rabbis and flavius josephus, the northern kingdom NEVER RETURNED after the assyrian captivity, as just as God said, lost all knowledge of their own identity

Last edited by michael371 on Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael371
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am

https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/questions/952/jacobs-name-is-israel-so-why-is-he-still-called-jacob#8015
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael371
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Israel.html#.WvB_p6SUuUk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jem2

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks. Glad i asked Smile i'll read the links as soon as i have some free time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
michael371
Elite

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 pm

jem, you might be surprised at who you are descended from, not that it makes one bit of difference anymore, but it might(been reading too much of this "Q" s**t, starting to write and talk like him/her)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jem2

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Isaiah 48
17 Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
18 O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:
19 Thy seed also had been as the sand, and the offspring of thy bowels like the gravel thereof; his name should not have been cut off nor destroyed from before me.
20 Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say ye, The LORD hath redeemed his servant Jacob.
21 And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts: he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them: he clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out.
22 There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked.

The parallel New Testament chapter to Isaiah 48 is Galatians. The following sums it up.

Galatians 4
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. …
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
Galatians 5
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. …
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. …
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. …
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bible Question   

Back to top Go down

Bible Question
Page 1 of 1