Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! Empty
PostSubject: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

+ some other sensitive sites...

Things are getting close I suspect!
I just spent some time battling with a remote hacker on my fast machine with two firewalls and lost. I am now using back up and moving to another system on this one that is more hack proof.

Guess some of my net visits and posts are drawing some attention or it was just a jerk.. but in any case I hope to be back soon if there is not too much damage.

Yes the pointer was running ramped on the desktop opening windows and files before I pulled the plug and then it crashed and will not start. Don't remember the last folder open but probably not quite where they wanted to look since my machine was not set up like typical Windows or other Linux.

Current machine is pretty protected but too slow and does not support video on the internet so that makes posting much more difficult.

Got to switch over quick, bye.
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:28 pm

study You downloading the anarchists' cookbook again spring?
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Quote :
the pointer was running ramped on the desktop opening windows and files before I pulled the plug

Don't know what operating system you are using but windoze has a setting to allow someone to remotely take control of a computer. It is called "windows remote assistance". It's suppose to be so technicians can remotely troubleshoot and repair problems. I don't know if other operating systems have this function but ALWAYS ALWAYS disable it!!!!! I have used this feature and what you described is exactly what the target computer would see.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-windows-remote-assistance
Back to top Go down
Yaddy

Yaddy

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:49 pm

how do I disable it? ( not very computer savvy!)
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Yaddy wrote:
how do I disable it? ( not very computer savvy!)

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-disable-windows-remote-assistance.navId-397913.html

How to Disable Windows Remote Assistance
By Dan Gookin from Troubleshooting Your PC For Dummies, 3rd Edition

Windows comes with an option to allow someone else on the Internet or a local network to access your computer. It can be done to share files, but primarily the feature exists to let someone somewhere help you fix your PC. The feature is Windows Remote Assistance.

For some reason, the Windows Remote Assistance feature is activated on just about every PC. You may wish to turn it off because it presents a serious security risk.

Here’s how to disable Windows Remote Assistance in Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

Press Win+Break to quickly summon the System window.

From the list of links on the left, choose Remote Settings.

In Windows Vista, type the administrator’s password or click the Continue button.

Remove the check mark by the item Allow Remote Assistance Connection to This Computer.

Choose the Remote Desktop option Don’t Allow Connections to This Computer.

Click OK.

Close the System window.

In Windows XP, follow these steps to disable Remote Assistance:

Conjure forth the System dialog box by pressing the Win+Break key combination.

Click the Remote tab in the System Properties dialog box.

Remove the check mark from the item Allow Remote Assistance Invitations to Be Sent from This Computer.

If available, also remove the check mark from the option Allow Users to Connect Remotely to This Computer.

Click OK.

If you need over-the-Internet help in the future, you can re-enable Remote Assistance: Repeat these steps, but add the check mark in Step 4 for Windows 7 and Windows Vista or in Step 3 for Windows XP. Also in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you can enable the Remote Desktop settings if you want to allow that feature.

You must respond to a request for assistance to use Windows Remote Assistance. Responding opens up your computer for remote access — but because you responded, the access is permitted through a firewall. In other words, a firewall doesn’t protect you from unwanted “assistance.”
Back to top Go down
Yaddy

Yaddy

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:25 am

thank you sooo much researcher much appreciated!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 11:00 am

Linux, yeah... they used a security flaw in Javascript which I had enabled for a web site (I usually don't) and while posting an article here which got lost in the on screen battle just before pulling the network cable.
I couldn't even get the machine rebooted after using a system on usb stick.

I never have remote login enabled.
They got in even with firewall set to deny access and ip-tables etc.

Most likely since I was working on the article to post on the forum .. I left that web site up too long with script enabled and they had enough time.

So lesson #105 learned, copy info to text editor and kill the site and script quick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here!   CRASH!#BANG..... somebody killed my fast machine... while here! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: