Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Empty
PostSubject: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 6:58 am

Radar data of asteroid 1998 QE2 obtained on May 29, 2013. The small moving white dot is the moon, or satellite, orbiting asteroid 1998 QE2.

First radar images of asteroid 1998 QE2 were obtained when the asteroid was about 3.75 million miles (6 million kilometers) from Earth. The small white dot at lower right is the moon, or satellite, orbiting asteroid 1998 QE2. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/GSSR

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon 752422main1_asteroid20130530-226

PASADENA, Calif. — A sequence of radar images of asteroid 1998 QE2 was obtained on the evening of May 29, 2013, by NASA scientists using the 230-foot (70-meter) Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, Calif., when the asteroid was about 3.75 million miles (6 million kilometers) from Earth, which is 15.6 lunar distances.

The radar imagery revealed that 1998 QE2 is a binary asteroid. In the near-Earth population, about 16 percent of asteroids that are about 655 feet (200 meters) or larger are binary or triple systems. Radar images suggest that the main body, or primary, is approximately 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers) in diameter and has a rotation period of less than four hours. Also revealed in the radar imagery of 1998 QE2 are several dark surface features that suggest large concavities. The preliminary estimate for the size of the asteroid’s satellite, or moon, is approximately 2,000 feet (600 meters) wide. The radar collage covers a little bit more than two hours.

The radar observations were led by scientist Marina Brozovic of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.

The closest approach of the asteroid occurs on May 31 at 1:59 p.m. Pacific (4:59 p.m. Eastern / 20:59 UTC), when the asteroid will get no closer than about 3.6 million miles (5.8 million kilometers), or about 15 times the distance between Earth and the moon. This is the closest approach the asteroid will make to Earth for at least the next two centuries. Asteroid 1998 QE2 was discovered on Aug. 19, 1998, by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR) program near Socorro, N.M.

The resolution of these initial images of 1998 QE2 is approximately 250 feet (75 meters) per pixel. Resolution is expected to increase in the coming days as more data become available. Between May 30 and June 9, radar astronomers using NASA’s 230-foot-wide (70 meter) Deep Space Network antenna at Goldstone, Calif., and the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, will perform an extensive campaign of observations on asteroid 1998 QE2. The two telescopes have complementary imaging capabilities that will enable astronomers to learn as much as possible about the asteroid during its brief visit near Earth.

Radar is a powerful technique for studying an asteroid’s size, shape, rotation state, surface features and surface roughness, and for improving the calculation of asteroid orbits. Radar measurements of asteroid distances and velocities often enable computation of asteroid orbits much further into the future than if radar observations weren’t available.

NASA places a high priority on tracking asteroids and protecting our home planet from them. In fact, the United States has the most robust and productive survey and detection program for discovering near-Earth objects. To date, U.S. assets have discovered more than 98 percent of the known Near-Earth Objects.

In 2012, the Near-Earth Object budget was increased from $6 million to $20 million. Literally dozens of people are involved with some aspect of near-Earth object research across NASA and its centers. Moreover, there are many more people involved in researching and understanding the nature of asteroids and comets, including those objects that come close to Earth, plus those who are trying to find and track them in the first place.

In addition to the resources NASA puts into understanding asteroids, it also partners with other U.S. government agencies, university-based astronomers, and space science institutes across the country that are working to track and better understand these objects, often with grants, interagency transfers and other contracts from NASA.

NASA’s Near-Earth Object Program at NASA Headquarters, Washington, manages and funds the search, study, and monitoring of asteroids and comets whose orbits periodically bring them close to Earth. JPL manages the Near-Earth Object Program Office for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

In 2016, NASA will launch a robotic probe to one of the most potentially hazardous of the known Near-Earth Objects. The OSIRIS-REx mission to asteroid (101955) Bennu will be a pathfinder for future spacecraft designed to perform reconnaissance on any newly-discovered threatening objects. Aside from monitoring potential threats, the study of asteroids and comets enables a valuable opportunity to learn more about the origins of our solar system, the source of water on Earth, and even the origin of organic molecules that lead to the development of life.

NASA recently announced development of a first-ever mission to identify, capture and relocate an asteroid for human exploration. Using game-changing technologies this mission would mark an unprecedented technological achievement that raises the bar of what humans can do in space. Capturing and redirecting an asteroid will integrate the best of NASA’s science, technology and human exploration capabilities and draw on the innovation of America’s brightest scientists and engineers.

More information about asteroids and near-Earth objects is available at: http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ , http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroidwatch and via Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/asteroidwatch .

More information about asteroid radar research is at: http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/

More information about the Deep Space Network is at: http://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/dsn .
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:30 am

Anyone ever read "Planet X, And the End of the Age; Doug Elwell"? The last few years are going virtually identically to his theory.

http://www.survivormall.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=978%2D0%2D9846300%2D1%2D1

(It can be found cheaper elsewhere if you're on a tight budget, but I'd rather spend a little more and get it from someplace that doesn't sell smut two tabs over or whatever)
Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:40 am

More about video in 1st post:

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: “Planet X”   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:48 am

The mysterious planet, dubbed “Planet X” it was a good read, God used Planet X to create the Heavens and Earth. Don't forget he also says it's coming again to destroy the earth, Jesus returns.......

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfUNYrDsjqlYXDO0dMMlc_xq-aGABDq0-m3qo04058bs69kXvb
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:50 am

ColonelZ wrote:
The mysterious planet, dubbed “Planet X” it was a good read, God used Planet X to create the Heavens and Earth. Don't forget he also says it's coming again to destroy the earth, Jesus returns.......

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfUNYrDsjqlYXDO0dMMlc_xq-aGABDq0-m3qo04058bs69kXvb

I'd go with more of "An Extreme Makeover", but I think we're on the same page.
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 10:05 am

Quote :
Anyone ever read "Planet X, And the End of the Age; Doug Elwell"? The last few years are going virtually identically to his theory.

Yeah, I have that book and I found it quite fascinating. It's one of the most believable planet X books out there. If he is right get ready for a wild and wooly ride soon. I bought it pre-order from Amazon back in 2010. Below is the Amazon description.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Sign-Son-Man-End/dp/0984630015/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370012330&sr=1-1&keywords=doug+elwell

Quote :
Publication Date: January 1, 2011
X marks the spot in the millennia-long quest to unlock the secrets of the Creation, Nativity and End-Times in Planet X, the Sign of the Son of Man, and the End of the Age. Written over a period of 22 years, Planet X represents literally decades of cutting-edge research into the Bible, ancient Near Eastern religion, and both ancient and modern astronomy. Planet X presents powerful and compelling evidence that the most critical events of the Bible — the Creation of the heavens and Earth, the birth of Christ, and His Second Coming — are all three bound together by the regular re-appearance of a mysterious tenth planet in our solar system. This mysterious planet, dubbed “Planet X” by modern astronomers who have been searching for it for over a century, is believed by some to be responsible for the creation of Earth in its present form. Planet X presents compelling evidence that this mysterious tenth planet was used by God to not only create the heavens and Earth, but also to herald the birth of Christ as the Star of Bethlehem, and to herald His return in the End-Times as the Sign of the Son of Man and the End of the Age.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

!! FOXTROT JULIET BRAVO !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Nuclear detonation the best way to deflect threatening asteroids, say experts   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

Now we have a plan, break it up into smaller parts.........99% will miss earth.......What about the 1%?

Nuclear detonation the best way to deflect threatening asteroids, say experts
Posted on May 31, 2013 by The Extinction Protocol

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Ht_asteroid_earth_wy_120228_wg

May 31, 2013 – SPACE - If a dangerous asteroid appears to be on a collision course for Earth, one option is to send a spacecraft to destroy it with a nuclear warhead. Such a mission, which would cost about $1 billion, could be developed from work NASA is already funding, a prominent asteroid defense expert says. Bong Wie, director of the Asteroid Deflection Research Center at Iowa State University, described the system his team is developing to attendees at the International Space Development Conference in La Jolla, Calif., on May 23. The annual National Space Society gathering attracted hundreds from the space industry around the world. An anti-asteroid spacecraft would deliver a nuclear warhead to destroy an incoming threat before it could reach Earth, Wie said. The two-section spacecraft would consist of a kinetic energy impactor that would separate before arrival and blast a crater in the asteroid. The other half of the spacecraft would carry the nuclear weapon, which would then explode inside the crater after the vehicle impacted. The goal would be to fragment the asteroid into many pieces, which would then disperse along separate trajectories. Wie believes that up to 99 percent or more of the asteroid pieces could end up missing the Earth, greatly limiting the impact on the planet. Of those that do reach our world, many would burn up in the atmosphere and pose no threat. Wie’s study has focused on providing the capability to respond to a threatening asteroid on short notices of a year or so. The plan would be to have two spacecraft on standby — one primary, the other backup — that could be launched on Delta 4 rockets. If the first spacecraft failed on launch or didn’t fragment the asteroid, the second would be sent aloft to finish the job. –Space
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 2:14 pm

ColonelZ wrote:

GOD most assuredly did not "use planet X" to create the heavens and the earth.

Please show me Scriptural support for that dandy...
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Unworthy1 wrote:
ColonelZ wrote:

Actually if you want to read through the book he takes you through it step by step in a hypothetical manner that makes a lot of sense and its in a literal manner without any twisting & turning of verses.
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 4:03 pm

quietobserver wrote:
Unworthy1 wrote:
ColonelZ wrote:

Actually if you want to read through the book he takes you through it step by step in a hypothetical manner that makes a lot of sense and its in a literal manner without any twisting & turning of verses.

Having read the book myself I'll second that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: BIG RED X and the Naval Drill??   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey remember where that X was in the Aleutian Islands near Siberia? Article I reported on long ago?

That was the location of the DRILL ALSO.

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Earth

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Pac-4

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon Pac-5

Hmmm.

42 The sea is come up upon Babylon: she is covered with the multitude of the waves thereof.

http://beforeitsnews.com/space/2011/10/nasas-red-x-mystery-deepens-pac-wave-11-connection-1285118.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:45 pm

What date was it that Cliff High had this coastal event mentioned in his bot report???
Was it before this mention of Drill and the Red X???
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Back to Doug Elwell and the planet X thing. Last September Rob Skiba had Doug on his podcast discussing this. Thought a few here might find it interesting if ya didn't happen to catch it back then.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/revolutionaryradio/2012/09/13/planet-x-creation-and-the-return-of-the-son-of-man-1.mp3

Quote :
Planet X, Creation and the return of the Son of Man

Tonight we will be talking with Douglas Elwell, the founder of Mysterious World and author of Planet X: The Sign of the Son of Man and the End of the Age. We'll be discussing that book as well as other subjects such as the Nephilim giants, and more. This should be a very interesting show!

Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks Researcher. Blends into some of Spring's posts but many forget the ruskie's have a plan in place to go oppenheimer on the sea shelfs in the canary's should the need arise. I'm not an expert on the subject but the consensus is "oh dear" along the entire eastern seaboard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon   NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NASA Radar Reveals Asteroid Has Its Own Moon
Page 1 of 1