Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fall Holy Days coming up

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
UKBairds

UKBairds

Fall Holy Days coming up Empty
PostSubject: Fall Holy Days coming up   Fall Holy Days coming up I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm

In our season of watching, I thought I'd point out that we have two holy days on the Hebrew calendar coming up soon:  Rosh HaShannah, Sept 4-6 which the Jews say is the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve, and is a day to ponder God's judgement and to blow the shofar representing the coronation of the King.  Those observing this holy day might eat an apple dunked in honey to represent a sweet new year.

Then comes Yom Kippur, the day of Atonement, Sept 13-14.  Celebrants will enjoy a large meal in the evening, and then set into the holiday evening to deprive themselves from marital relations while they also fast, avoid wearing leather foot ware and perfumes or anointing oils, and do not bathe.  There is a spotlight upon reciting Psalms, and a specific focus on repentance and otherwise "afflicting the soul," bringing both body and soul into a state of discomfort.  Over the course of the 25+ hour fast, five prayer services on on offer.  The day features the public and private confession of sins.  At the end of the Holy Day there is singing of "Hear o Israel..." followed by one blast from the shofar.  Afterwards dancing, a joyful end-of-fast meal.

By tradition, God writes a person's fate for the upcoming year into the Book of Life on Rosh HaShannah and solidifies the arrangement on Yom Kippur.  In the intervening period, the Days of Awe, people try to improve their behavior, repent from wrongdoing, to improve their position for the year, and aim to be forgiven.
Back to top Go down
UKBairds

UKBairds

PostSubject: Re: Fall Holy Days coming up   Fall Holy Days coming up I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 am

Shanah Tova!~   שנה טובה ומתוקה
Back to top Go down
wil

wil

PostSubject: Re: Fall Holy Days coming up   Fall Holy Days coming up I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:49 pm

2013 Fall Feasts (starts on previous day's sunset)

Feast of Trumpets (Yom Teruah) Sept 7  High Sabbath (Do no work)
Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) Sept 16     "       "
Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) Sept 21-28 (High Sabbath are 21 & 28)

Source:  

http://lionlamb.net/v3/system/files/2013-web-calendar.pdf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall Holy Days coming up   Fall Holy Days coming up I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fall Holy Days coming up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: