Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Big One Cometh?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Big One Cometh? Empty
PostSubject: The Big One Cometh?   The Big One Cometh? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 am

The Big One Cometh?
Posted by lamarzulli on September 23, 2013
The Big One Cometh? Earthquake-21Commentary & Analysis
by
L. A. Marzulli

‘Big One’ is due, quake experts say

“It’s going to shake here,” she said. “Single-family homes will bounce off their foundations. Landslides will cause transportation between I-5 and (Highway) 101 on the coast to be cut off for three to five years.”

Lines from Washington state gasoline refineries cross 15 rivers, leaving them vulnerable to quake tremors, she says. Most of these were built in the mid-20th century, with no thought to making them quake-resistant, she says, adding that they would be offline for at least six months.

Electrical power would be down from one to three months until transformers and the electrical grid get going again, she says.

A region’s markets have food enough for only three days, so families should store at least three weeks of non-perishable food — tuna, beans, freeze-dried items — and other vital commodities, such as toilet paper.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130921/NEWS/309210314

I was at a dinner a few months back with a pastor who stated that we shouldn’t prepare for emergencies!  I was at a loss for words, which, as some of you know is a rarity for me!  I looked at him and asked him to clarify his remark.  He launched into a diatribe about faith and trusting God.  I listened and when he was done I countered his argument saying, When Joseph interpreted Pharaohs dream, they hoarded food to offset the seven-year famine which was going to come.  The short of it is this, Joseph prepared the people for an emergency, and in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with that!

The article above is a grim reminder that when the Big One hits, and we all know it will at some point, it will be devastating.  Why not dare to prepare—as Holly Deyo would exhort us—by stockpiling the basic necessities of life?  Why not be proactive?  I’m not promoting building a “Doomsday Castle,” but certainly having the basics like extra food, water, medicines, toilet paper, and a means to protect ones family is just plain, old-fashion, good common sense.

We now have an active root cellar, which I dug into our hill behind the house.

We also have a large, ever-expanding, garden.  I’m going to harvest the Spaghetti squash today and put them in the root cellar.  I also have my onions and potatoes stored in there too.  Then there’s the rows of canned foods and meats, the two 50 gallon trash cans of beans and rice, tons of spaghetti noodles, toilet paper and other basic necessities.  The root cellar is earthquake-proof, and fire-proof.  I can rest assured, knowing that I’ve got a good emergency supply of food and water—we have two wells and a 5000 gallon storage tank.

In closing todays post.  I strongly disagree with the pastor who stated preparation for a disaster was somehow showing a lack of faith.  Take a look at the aftermath of hurricane Sandy.

http://freebeacon.com/abandoned/  Frustration has now turned to anger for many Hurricane Sandy victims after living in limbo for more than six months, and they say the slow response and inaction by the Obama administration is taking its toll.

The Red Cross showed up with cookies and cocoa!  This is a grim reminder to me that we can’t rely on anyone else except ourselves.  Remember, if the grid goes down and the roads are impassable, most people have about three days to a week of food in their house. 
   http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2012/11/hurricane-sandys-victims-get-cookies.html

So the bottom line for me is this.  Do we rely on Big Government to ride in on the tax payers dime and save us, or do we rely on ourselves?  As for me and my house, I will choose to be self-reliant, as a cold cookie and some watered-down cocoa won’t cut it when the big one hits!  Take a moment and check our Holly Deyo’s book!

The Big One Cometh? Dare-to-preparehttp://www.amazon.com/Dare-Prepare-Edition-Holly-Drennen/dp/0972768890
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

The Big One Cometh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big One Cometh?   The Big One Cometh? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Stan Deyo has the same thing up today. You can't help but think the Pacific Northwest and/or Cali are overdue. If you look at the Pacific ring of fire the huge quakes started in Chile a few years ago and have worked their way clockwise around the plate. After a couple of big ones in Alaska you've got to cringe a bit thinking of what's next.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130921/NEWS/309210314

Last edited by quietobserver on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)
Back to top Go down

The Big One Cometh?
Page 1 of 1