Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Common Core testing makes children vomit, wet their pants: N.Y. principals

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Common Core testing makes children vomit, wet their pants: N.Y. principals Empty
PostSubject: Common Core testing makes children vomit, wet their pants: N.Y. principals   Common Core testing makes children vomit, wet their pants: N.Y. principals I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 pm

http://www.trunews.com/common-core-testing-makes-children-vomit-wet-pants-n-y-principals/

Common Core testing makes children vomit, wet their pants: N.Y. principals 131123172326-ravitch-chicago-classroom-story-top
Eight prominent principals in New York have written and signed a letter to parents expressing deep concerns about the new Common Core-aligned standardized tests administered to students in grades three through eight.
The group, led by Sharon Fougner, principal of E.M. Baker Elementary School in Great Neck, said that the children have reacted “viscerally” to the tests, The Washington Postfirst reported.
“We know that many children cried during or after testing, and others vomited or lost control of their bowels or bladders,” the letter reads. “Others simply gave up. One teacher reported that a student kept banging his head on the desk, and wrote, ‘This is too hard,’ and ‘I can’t do this,’ throughout his test booklet.”
The letter also states that overall test scores dropped 31 percent statewide and have contributed to the achievement gap.
“We know that the tests have caused the achievement gap to widen as the scores of economically disadvantaged students plummeted, and that parents are reporting that low-scoring children feel like failures,” the letter said.
The principals, who also expressed concern over how much the rigorous testing standards are costing taxpayers, concluded by blasting the state’s education officials.
Read Full Article

• Enki-Ea
    They better be glad that I do not have a child that they would do that to, or I would make them BLEED!! They would not have to worry about kids bringing guns to school, because dad would. I can picture myself with my hands on the woman in the picture beating her to a pulp with a leg I broke off one of the desks. They would need to use dental records to identify the “female dog,” which is another term for something that rhymes with “witch.”
  • D Pugh
    Interesting take on the article, Enki-Ea. when I read it, my thought was, “Really? Kids say a test is too hard so your solution is to down grade the test?!?”
    That being said, the common core examples I have seen appear to be nothing more than a tool of the propaganda machine. Get involved with your children’s education people! Swaying the youth is a common political practice. Start by teaching your kids the constitution, they sure aren’t learning it in school!
  • Gracie
    It looks like “No Child Left Behind” changed its name to “Common Core.”
    When kids are taught as a collective, the higher IQ and lower IQ students suffer the most; the higher IQs are not challenged and shut down from boredom, and the lower IQs become overwhelmed and shut down from stress.
    The article mentions economically disadvantaged students are being hurt the worse. Well, this is true, because I have seen it for myself. The majority of my sister’s summertime students come from extreme poverty, but she has a high rate of success because she teaches them as individuals. Parents try so hard to get their children into my sister’s classroom. This article mentions that students are crying because of Common Core, well, students come to my sister crying because they want to be in her class. Multiple school districts have entered into a bidding war to attract my sister for employment, and her success comes from an individualism viewpoint.
    Actually, Common Core reminds me of Star Trek and the Borg.
    Assimilate and rid yourself of all personal identity.

• abbygirl08
      Gracie,
      God bless your sister for her fine work. I have heard some of the most ridiculous questions on the math tests in which not enough information was given, therefor it was impossible to answer them correctly. I’ve also wondered if it could have been designed this way purposely so as to justify spending more money on educators in order to bring them up to speed.
      I can’t remember where I read this (I would post a link if I could) but there was a math problem that went something similar to this…
      “Yolanda wants to give her friends an equal amount of candy. How many bags will she need?”
      Well? How many friends does she have? No mention. How many pieces of candy does she have? No mention. No wonder these poor kids are peeing their pants!

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1