Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... Empty
PostSubject: Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...   Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:27 am

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers after deadly cyclone
by Staff Writers
Toliara, Madagascar (AFP) March 20, 2013

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... Madagascar-marker-lg

With small, silent steps, 10-year-old Borikely carefully picks her way through the tall grass of a Madagascar field in search of her dinner. She's hunting for grasshoppers, which she'll catch with a stick.

Once speared, she places them carefully in a small round straw basket and within a few minutes, she has collected dozens of insects.

This is Borikely's only meal of the day, revealing the extent of the food crisis that has gripped the Indian Ocean island since cyclone Haruna hit three weeks ago.

"I don't like grasshoppers, but I am forced to eat them since the cyclone because I am hungry," Borikely told AFP.

The storm killed 26 people and affected nearly 40,000 more, devastating several villages and forcing thousands of people to cram into emergency camps.

Now, villagers like Borikely fill their stomachs by eating grasshoppers which are cooked with a little salt and water, or grilled in some parts of the country.

More

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Madagascars_hungry_eat_grasshoppers_after_deadly_cyclone_999.html
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...   Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey, at least they are kosher. John the Baptist ate 'em with honey so the Bible says. Folks in Israel have been catching them in the latest locust outbreak. Salted and roasted they are said to be a crunchy and delicious treat. I've even seen them for sale in a few markets here in San Diego.

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... Grasshoppers-091907-lg
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...   Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Sometimes my chickens have grasshopper breath and when I pick them up I can smell it. It's not pleasant.Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...   Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madagascar's hungry eat grasshoppers...
Page 1 of 1