Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~ Empty
PostSubject: Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~   Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~ I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 2:38 pm

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR POSTED EXCERPTS FROM ARTICLE.
Sorry about that.

They say vita. D3, I'm assuming and calcium supps. do make a difference.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/815430

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Last edited by Dove on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~   Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~ I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:23 pm

You gotta be a medscape member or join up to view, Dove. You mind giving us the ten cent tour of what is in the article? Thanks.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

!! FOXTROT JULIET BRAVO !!
Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

PostSubject: Re: Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~   Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~ I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks Researcher, I must be 'auto signed in'. This particular report impressed me enough
to pass it on. These are excerpts.

Reported by Dr. JoAnn Manson, Professor of Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. I want to talk about an update of the long-term follow-up of the calcium and vitamin D supplementation trial in the Women's Health Initiative.

In this large trial, more than 36,000 postmenopausal women aged 50-79 years were randomly assigned to treatment with a combination of calcium carbonate at a dose of 1000 mg elemental calcium plus vitamin D3 400 IU daily, or placebo. Women received treatment for an average of 7 years. This follow-up took place an average of 5 years after intervention, for a total follow-up of about 12 years.

... the analyses that were limited to adherent women who were taking at least 80% of their study pills compared with the women who were taking at least 80% of their placebo pills showed a statistically significant 29% reduction in the risk for hip fracture.

...In addition, with the follow-up now at 12 years, a significant 13% reduction in vertebral fracture emerged in the active treatment group, even in the intention- to-treat analyses. And already reported was the significant improvement in bone mineral density of the hip for those receiving active treatment vs placebo, as measured by DXA (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry).

We now have 3 lines of evidence of benefit for calcium plus vitamin D supplementation: the reduction in hip fracture seen among adherent women, the reduction in vertebral fracture in the intention-to-treat analyses, and the improvement or better results for bone mineral density with active treatment compared with placebo and also in the intention-to-treat analyses. Overall, there is increasing evidence that calcium plus vitamin D supplementation does have benefits for bone health.

Also shown in the new report is that with longer-term follow-up, a statistically significant reduction in in situ breast cancer emerged -- a 13% reduction overall. The authors reported no reduction in invasive breast cancer, but it will be of interest to see whether such a reduction does emerge with longer follow-up.

In terms of all cancers, among the women who had low baseline intake of vitamin D, there was a statistically significant 9% reduction in total cancer with supplementation, and also a marginally significant 9% reduction in all-cause mortality. No reduction in colorectal cancer was seen in the trial.

For the cardiovascular endpoints, such as heart disease, stroke, and total cardiovascular events, there was no evidence of benefit or risk. Thus, this was a neutral result for cardiovascular outcomes,...

We certainly need additional trials of higher-dose vitamin D supplementation beyond 400 IU daily. The Institute of Medicine now recommends that women older than 50 years have at least 1200 mg of calcium per day from a combination of diet and supplements if needed, and 600-800 IU of vitamin D.

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~   Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Girls, chew your seashells by the sunny seashore~
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: