Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? Empty
PostSubject: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 am

If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? PostApocCurrent

Since President Obama worries more about the threat of terrorists' improvised nuclear device going off in a major American city than anything Russia can throw at us, I was wondering if the government had deigned to share with us citizens any tips for, you know, surviving something their own intelligence points to as the likeliest event. Choices we make could very well make the difference between our imminent death and a relatively full and happy life, assuming the bomb is a one-off. The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory released a report in 2011 that spells all this out. It hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves. It's called the "National Capital Region Key Response Planning Factors for the Aftermath of Nuclear Terrorism" and it makes for fascinating reading. Did you know, for example, that: 1. The WORST thing for someone to try to do, in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion that they survive, is to get in a car and drive away. 2. Unless you're within about a third to a half a mile radius of ground zero and the shelter options are poor, the BEST thing for someone to do is to find a stable location inside a well-built apartment or office building — the majority of which will remain standing outside that half mile radius — and stay there for 24 hours. And if you were very close to ground zero and you did survive — and a lot of folks will — the best thing for you to do is to...
Back to top Go down
rawblues

rawblues

If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 am

The training I got in elementary school in the early 60's was to get under our school desks and don't look at the flash.  We rehearsed it.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 pm

rawblues wrote:
The training I got in elementary school in the early 60's was to get under our school desks and don't look at the flash.  We rehearsed it.  Laughing
and pray...
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 pm

quietobserver wrote:
rawblues wrote:
and pray...
and cover your head with your hands and pull yourself into as tight a ball as you can and when your nose reaches that place where the good Lord split ya, then pucker up and kiss your @$$ goodbye!
Back to top Go down
scottr99

scottr99

PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Light -> Blast -> Fire/heat -> Radiation. If one doesn't get you the others will.

I believe the Bible as the literal and completed Word of God!
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Copy & pasted from document.

Seek immediate shelter.In the likely event that no stocked fallout shelter is available, the safest option is usually sheltering within one's own residence.If you are still outside and you haven't been able to seek shelter yet, or for some urgent reason you must go outside during plume passage, remember that a simple particulate respirator (dust mask) is an essential first line of protection against inhaling plume pulse particulates (see note in Section F-5 below.)As soon as you reach shelter, close all windows and doors to minimize inhalation of passing plume..Avoid exposure of children to contaminated surface water (puddles and rain) and ground contamination.Avoid consumption of foods contaminated with surface deposition, especially Also avoid fruits such as raspberries, which are difficult to wash and food which rapidly bioaccumulates contamination, such as mushrooms and sea vegetables.  Otherwise  vegetables (such as root crops, e.g. carrots, potatoes) which would not otherwise be contaminated. Use food products produced and/or packaged prior to plume passage whenever possible.Shelter livestock and pets;  by staying indoors as much as possible.Cover garden sites with tarps prior to plume passage if time permits.Utilize greens grown in a greenhouse situation whenever possible.Package, box or bag contaminated clothing and footwear and remove from immediate vicinity of the living quarters if possible.Vacuum rugs, sweep floors and package or box resulting detritus as a contaminated substance and remove from immediate vicinity of living quarters if possible.Due to filtering and/or diluting all subsurface water sources and most public drinking water, sources will remain relatively safe after most types of nuclear accidents.In the days after a nuclear accident, if you have avoided inhalation of the passing plume and if you can avoid extensive exposure to ground deposition, .

Know your bioaccumulators.  If you can avoid the primary ingestion pathway, including foods such as leafy green vegetables, berries, broccoli and cauliflower contaminated with surface deposition (foliar contamination,) the principle ingestion exposure pathway would likely result from  contamination of the following foods which are quickly contaminated after a nuclear accident:

Remember that during and after a nuclear accident:It is safe to eat any food produced and packaged prior to the plume passage.Saltwater fish, due to the diluting effects of the ocean, accumulate much less fallout than fresh water species.Most underground and artesian water supplies will be relatively unaffected by fallout deposition.Most root vegetables, even if grown in contaminated soils, will not contain huge quantities of the most important short-lived radionuclide, 131I, which contaminates leafy green vegetables and the forage pathways immediately after a nuclear accident.Root vegetables may take up biologically available long-lived radionuclides such as 137Cs, but not in sufficient quantities to constitute an immediate health hazard.

Edit to add resource.

https://m.app.box.com/view_shared/uvqso4xgv6
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do?   If A Nuclear Bomb Explodes In A United States City, What Can & Should You Do? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1