Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? Empty
PostSubject: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 1:57 pm

I was curious if anyone caught "The Last Ship" Sunday on TNT? Apparently it did quite well. Its a remake of a remake loosely based on a book that they're turning into a 9 episode series, but what was interesting was the virus looks a whole lot, and or virtually identical to weaponized ebola. Like reality the outbreak also began in africa. (Egypt in the series, various places over the years in reality)

And yet another headline from the hot zone...

Current Ebola Outbreak Is Now The Worst In History And 'Totally Out Of Control'

http://www.businessinsider.com/guinea-ebola-outbreak-is-worst-ever-2014-6

Last edited by quietobserver on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks for reminding me of this show. I don't have a TV but I have BitTorrent and I'm getting it now.

Looks like you can also watch it on the TNT web site too.  http://www.tntdrama.com/
Back to top Go down
Kitiara

Kitiara

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I saw it, and it looks interesting.  This U.S. Navy destroyer went on a top secret mission to the Arctic for a few months (to explain why they did not have communications with the rest of the world), and when they made radio contact, they discovered that roughly 50% of the world's population was infected or dead from this deadly virus.
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Here's a great non-fiction read on ebola that can be picked up on the cheap nowadays.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hot_Zone
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 4:35 pm

I have a hardback of the Hot Zone and read it every couple of years. You might also wanna get The Cobra Event by the same author, Richard Preston. It's fiction but ohhhhhh, what a thriller!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cobra_Event

Ohhh, I just looked on Amazon and Preston has another book and I haven't read it yet. I just popped it onto my Kindle now. It's title is The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story.

Amazon wrote:
Publication Date: October 8, 2002
“The bard of biological weapons captures
the drama of the front lines.”

-Richard Danzig, former secretary of the navy

The first major bioterror event in the United States-the anthrax attacks in October 2001-was a clarion call for scientists who work with “hot” agents to find ways of protecting civilian populations against biological weapons. In The Demon in the Freezer, his first nonfiction book since The Hot Zone, a #1 New York Times bestseller, Richard Preston takes us into the heart of Usamriid, the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland, once the headquarters of the U.S. biological weapons program and now the epicenter of national biodefense.

Peter Jahrling, the top scientist at Usamriid, a wry virologist who cut his teeth on Ebola, one of the world’s most lethal emerging viruses, has ORCON security clearance that gives him access to top secret information on bioweapons. His most urgent priority is to develop a drug that will take on smallpox-and win. Eradicated from the planet in 1979 in one of the great triumphs of modern science, the smallpox virus now resides, officially, in only two high-security freezers-at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in Siberia, at a Russian virology institute called Vector. But the demon in the freezer has been set loose. It is almost certain that illegal stocks are in the possession of hostile states, including Iraq and North Korea. Jahrling is haunted by the thought that biologists in secret labs are using genetic engineering to create a new superpox virus, a smallpox resistant to all vaccines.

Usamriid went into a state of Delta Alert on September 11 and activated its emergency response teams when the first anthrax letters were opened in New York and Washington, D.C. Preston reports, in unprecedented detail, on the government’s response to the attacks and takes us into the ongoing FBI investigation. His story is based on interviews with top-level FBI agents and with Dr. Steven Hatfill.

Jahrling is leading a team of scientists doing controversial experiments with live smallpox virus at CDC. Preston takes us into the lab where Jahrling is reawakening smallpox and explains, with cool and devastating precision, what may be at stake if his last bold experiment fails.

From the Hardcover edition.
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 9:38 am

I watched it too. It was ok, I'll probably watch it again. I made it a point to watch some of the new shows, I even gave Defiance another go. It was disgusting from the start. So was Tyrant.
Sex and murder, rape and murder. Geez, it's mucking everything up. Sitcoms are also going to have to really bring it to equal Big Bang Theory. I watched 5 min of Young and Hungry. Awful, no sex at that point but just not funny. I did watch the Musketeers! I liked it but the bad Cardinal is also the new Doctor. I'm sure that will gel with me...... Falling skies got interesting again, I said if it was another whole season of interpersonal relationship stories, I was done but it's got some action this time. Smile I will continue to watch, the Last Ship, Musketeers and Falling skies, Just biding my time waiting for the New Doctor in August.
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Was Ebola Behind the Black Death?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117310

Every now and then when the lucies get a bit older they start to forget when they're in mixed company....can't take this guy anywhere:

Regarding France's explosive immigration problem: "Monsieur Ebola can solve the problem in three months."  back away slowly 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10847344/Jean-Marie-Le-Pen-Ebola-epidemic-would-solve-immigration-problems.html
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 6:18 pm

"Dr. Amara Jambai, Sierra Leone's director of disease prevention and control, said at least 57 suspected and confirmed Ebola cases were "missing", the victims having fled or gone into hiding.

"When you lose cases that way, you will not know where the next case will appear," he told Reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/30/us-health-ebola-leone-idUSKBN0F520F20140630
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am

Edit: sorry, somehow my typing wound up in the body of the quote. I said suggested reading. Easier to reply to this thread than new leg work...

researcher wrote:
I have a hardback of the Hot Zone and read it every couple of years. You might also wanna get The Cobra Event by the same author, Richard Preston. It's fiction but ohhhhhh, what a thriller!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cobra_Event

Ohhh, I just looked on Amazon and Preston has another book and I haven't read it yet. I just popped it onto my Kindle now. It's title is The Demon in the Freezer: A True Story.

Amazon wrote:
Publication Date: October 8, 2002
“The bard of biological weapons captures
the drama of the front lines.”

-Richard Danzig, former secretary of the navy

Recommended reading^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&^^^^^^^^^

The first major bioterror event in the United States-the anthrax attacks in October 2001-was a clarion call for scientists who work with “hot” agents to find ways of protecting civilian populations against biological weapons. In The Demon in the Freezer, his first nonfiction book since The Hot Zone, a #1 New York Times bestseller, Richard Preston takes us into the heart of Usamriid, the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland, once the headquarters of the U.S. biological weapons program and now the epicenter of national biodefense.

Peter Jahrling, the top scientist at Usamriid, a wry virologist who cut his teeth on Ebola, one of the world’s most lethal emerging viruses, has ORCON security clearance that gives him access to top secret information on bioweapons. His most urgent priority is to develop a drug that will take on smallpox-and win. Eradicated from the planet in 1979 in one of the great triumphs of modern science, the smallpox virus now resides, officially, in only two high-security freezers-at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in Siberia, at a Russian virology institute called Vector. But the demon in the freezer has been set loose. It is almost certain that illegal stocks are in the possession of hostile states, including Iraq and North Korea. Jahrling is haunted by the thought that biologists in secret labs are using genetic engineering to create a new superpox virus, a smallpox resistant to all vaccines.

Usamriid went into a state of Delta Alert on September 11 and activated its emergency response teams when the first anthrax letters were opened in New York and Washington, D.C. Preston reports, in unprecedented detail, on the government’s response to the attacks and takes us into the ongoing FBI investigation. His story is based on interviews with top-level FBI agents and with Dr. Steven Hatfill.

Jahrling is leading a team of scientists doing controversial experiments with live smallpox virus at CDC. Preston takes us into the lab where Jahrling is reawakening smallpox and explains, with cool and devastating precision, what may be at stake if his last bold experiment fails.

From the Hardcover edition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?   The Last Ship - ? Ebola ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Last Ship - ? Ebola ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: