Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Great U-Turn in the Sky

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Internet Pilgrim

Internet Pilgrim

The Great U-Turn in the Sky Empty
PostSubject: The Great U-Turn in the Sky   The Great U-Turn in the Sky I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 pm

While I'm here, I have a new article on Preaching Politics and here's a sample:

Quote :
This will be short but not so sweet since I’m rushing in where angels fear to tread. This isn’t a topic that normally would arouse me enough that I’d feel compelled to share my thoughts, but after hearing an unusually insipid and convoluted discourse on why Jesus won’t return until after the Tribulation ends, I had to get this out of my system. It doesn’t lead to peaceful sleep when you’re rising every few minutes to yell at a two inch speaker that can’t hear or respond...

We’re told in the Bible that the Holy Spirit is our teacher and guide, but that doesn’t mean that he makes ancient language scholars out of people who have no training in it. There’s a problem when someone who is otherwise intelligent, competent and even inspired at times (in another field) begins to rush in, and armed with a superficial understanding, at best, of the “real” meaning of the texts, then dismisses all of the arguments and explanations of those who are scholars, because he believes he has “superior” revelation.

I respect the skills in documenting evidence, presenting it in a logical, compelling manner and making clear arguments based on it that a lawyer can bring to any discussion (after all, I am a lawyer by trade myself). But that shouldn’t lead someone to the illusion that they have expertise in areas they don’t, based only on personal revelation.

The focus is misplaced in scrutinizing texts, then feeling compelled to broadcast a personal interpretation to awaken everyone, arguing that they should accept your views in order to be ready for a future which none of us can discern absolutely and specifically. Isn’t something wrong when an author believes that he alone is the recipient of wisdom and guidance from the Holy Spirit in a certain area, and so must instruct the rest of us on his revelation?

The problem is that this is an issue of heart, not of doctrine. Michael Snyder, an excellent reporter, writer (and a lawyer) has just published a book, “The Rapture Verdict,” arguing that the belief in a pre-trib rapture is causing many in the Church to be complacent because they believe they’ll be gone before things get too bad. Why prepare for tough times or worry about the tech revolution leading to the Beast system and the mark if you won’t have to deal with it anyway?

I can tell him why – it’s because we know that we could be gone at any moment if the rapture might be imminent. Faced with that, we work harder because we want to do all we can before we’re removed and no longer can work for Christ. That possibility makes us more dedicated because we aren’t just worrying about our own futures, we’re concerned for the lost whom we can’t reach once we’re gone. It’s not the doctrine that creates selfishness and a sense of irrelevance – it’s a heart that isn’t focused on Jesus and what he cares about...
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: