Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 Empty
PostSubject: Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31   Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:26 am

Posted on May 18, 2013

Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 Shutterstock_95167171

May 18, 2013 – SPACE – It’s 1.7 miles long. Its surface is covered in a sticky black substance similar to the gunk at the bottom of a barbecue. If it impacted Earth it would probably result in global extinction. Good thing it is just making a flyby. Asteroid 1998 QE2 will make its closest pass to Earth on May 31 at 1:59 p.m. PDT. Scientists are not sure where this unusually large space rock, which was discovered 15 years ago, originated from. But the mysterious sooty substance on its surface could indicate it may be the result of a comet that flew too close to the sun, said Amy Mainzer, who tracks near-Earth objects at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Cañada Flintridge. It might also have leaked out of the asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, she said. We will know more after the asteroid zips closer to Earth and scientists using the Deep Space Network antenna in Goldstone, Calif., and the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico can get a better look at it. Astronomers at both observatories plan to track it closely from May 30 to June 9, according to a JPL release. At its closest approach the asteroid will still be 3.6 million miles from our planet (about 15 times the distance between the Earth and the moon), but it will be close enough for these powerful radar antennas to see features as small as 12 feet across. “With radar we can transform an object from a point of light into a small world with its own characteristics,” Lance Benner, JPL’s principal investigator for Goldstone radar observations, said in a statement. There is no chance that asteroid 1998 QE2 could collide with Earth this go-around, and its next close approach won’t be until 2119. Still, Mainzer said the size of the asteroid, and its potential for mass destruction, should remind us that there are some scary things flying around in space. –LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-asteroid-1998-qe2-20130516,0,548201.story
Back to top Go down
Blessed1313

Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31   Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:47 pm

This almost made me WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? IT IS A SICK gamemaker site and their scenarios are ALL about disasters: (I thought it was a real article at first):

http://www.prlog.org/12140125-asteroid-impact-changes-how-president-looks-at-immigration-law.html

Title of Article:
Asteroid Impact Changes How President Looks At Immigration Law!

NASA has identified asteroid strike which will occur in less than 24 hours!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Latest Press Releases By “Vision-Strike-Ware

• Meteorites reported found in local fire by USAF fire teams!
  • Earthquakes Caused From Asteroid Impact Will Permanently Deform The Earth!
  • NASA, NOAA, FEMA, USAF preparing for Asteroid Impact
  • Great White North gets torched by meteor strike as it hits pipeline!
  • Small Meteroites Cause Forest Fires World Wide!
More...

WHY would all these ASTEROID scenarios be played out WHEN we are having so many "real life" ones going on???? OH........I know...........MORE fear I guess or prepare the minds for it. Well.......off the internet for me! Good nite..........God Bless!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: