Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

I wonder if they have gotten to my yard? We haven't noticed any ant problems but I haven't seen but a couple fire ants in two years. Which is really odd, considering I don't use pesticides.

For those of you with Fire ants in sensitive places where you don't want to use a pesticide, like a pond or around critters. I have a trick! Smile
fill a clay pot or anything with a hole in the botton with dirt and set it ontop of the mound, then water around the pot, not in it! Keep the hill soaking wet for a few days and the Fireants will move their whole colony up into the pot and then you can throw them into a firepit or a trash bag or whatever. But this really works! Be careful when you pick up the pot, wear gloves because they will swarm you.
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:22 pm

This is more fun. Mix potassium nitrate and sugar together, spread around the nest and the ants carry it deep into the nest. On ant doomsday pour as much sodium nitrate as you can into the nest, shove a lit sparkler or road flare into the hole and watch the fun begin.

Sodium or potassium nitrate are strong oxidizers. They make oxygen when heated. The sugar is the fuel (and ant attractant). Sugar is carbon, hydrogen, oxygen (C6-H12-O6).

Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? 0
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 pm

researcher wrote:
This is more fun. Mix potassium nitrate and sugar together, spread around the nest and the ants carry it deep into the nest. On ant doomsday pour as much sodium nitrate as you can into the nest, shove a lit sparkler or road flare into the hole and watch the fun begin.

Sodium or potassium nitrate are strong oxidizers. They make oxygen when heated. The sugar is the fuel (and ant attractant). Sugar is carbon, hydrogen, oxygen (C6-H12-O6).

Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? 0

Hey birthday boy isn't sodium nitrate better known as "saltpeter"? I'm just askin'.....
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm

From Wikipedia:

Quote :
Potassium nitrate is one of several nitrogen-containing compounds collectively referred to as saltpeter. Major uses of potassium nitrate are in fertilizers, food additive, rocket propellants and fireworks; it is one of the constituents of gunpowder.

Sodium nitrate will work in a pinch for gunpowder too. I know cause I did it back in the early 1970's. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Any flammable aerosol when used properly in careful combination with an incendiary device will dispose of insects of all sizes 100% of the time.

I'm still not convinced that DDT was actually harmful to anyone but the corporations not holding the patents for said insecticide.
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Hot water does work but you have to douse the nest a couple of times to get the ants that are foraging.
Personally, I don't like to kill them, but I have. I've been grabbed and stung by at least 40 in the last 13 years. I hate fire ant stings, they get pus filled and hurt for a week, leave scars.... But I usually gather them in a pot and take them out to the fence row, Soak the pot a couple of times and they move out.

If you happen to get grabbed and stung, rub some basil on it for a half an hour and the sting will fade without all the pain and scarring. righton
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 pm

JEW wrote:
Nice! An ant killin' thread!

DE  Diatomaceous earth is also great for this, though slower and not NEARLY as spectacular as researcher's method.
But there's a very simple way to kill the nest...maybe somebody here already said it...but @5-10 gallons of boiling water will do the trick, too.
Both methods I have described are organic methods in case that are in your garden and you don't want to pollute your crops...

I have a huge bag of DE to kill them. Slow and boring though, but a good point its harmless to anything other than an insect. Dries them out & cuts them up I was told. "AXIS" is the mining company if you're interested lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??   Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attack of the "Crazy Ants"! They destroy electronics...??
Page 1 of 1