Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gardening, Self Sufficiency

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gardening, Self Sufficiency   Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2024 9:11 am

to determine your first frost date, go to https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates.
The Old Farmer's Almanac is another source.
Then you can determine what more can be planted even today and make it to harvest.  Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 1f60a

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

PostSubject: Re: Gardening, Self Sufficiency   Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2024 9:54 am

I put  tomatoes, peppers and cukes (already growing at Home Depot) in on Memorial Day.

Got the Jack's 20-20-20 and applied per directions on July 9.  Plants were already fruiting in the
soil mix of loam, compost and bone meal added to each planting.

The result is it still ended up too much nitrogen, I think. The tomato greens are very lush.
The fruit is setting but only two were ready so far.  Cukes are abundant. 
Peppers are slow to be ready for picking.
There's strawberries, carrots and onions out there, and I'm aiming for lettuces, and still
don't have the potatoes in.  But I'm going for it!

I plucked the tomatoes when they showed color, and let them ripen inside so the plant could get
busy with the rest of them.  That worked fine. 
Did you know-store them with stem side down. The structure is stronger, won't get mushy.

Jacks does have a different formula for vegies, that probably would have been the better choice.
Or dilute the 20-20-20 to half strength.  
I don't expect them to need any more except for another surface application of bone meal scratched in, in another week or two.

And there were 2 baby bunnies in the container bed, which is two and a half feet high!
No sign of a tunnel or a nest.  ?????
I do have a chair close by.  Mama could have, I guess, but they weren't newborns either.
It's a mystery to me.  Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 1f600

bordercollie likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

PostSubject: Re: Gardening, Self Sufficiency   Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2024 6:45 pm

The science of compost tea.  Conclusion?  Much ado about nothing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardening, Self Sufficiency   Gardening,  Self Sufficiency - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gardening, Self Sufficiency
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2