Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed Empty
PostSubject: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 2:02 pm

By Ted Barrett. Deirdre Walsh and Tom Cohen, CNN
updated 2:49 PM EDT, Tue October 8, 2013
Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed 131008090351-01-boehner-obama-split-1008-story-top

Obama: Won't 'negotiate' under threat

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• President Obama to GOP: Get to work and take a vote on the budget
  • Obama calls Boehner, but neither side appears to budge
  • Republicans frustrated with Obama's "no negotiate" strategy, GOP source says
  • Senate bill to raise debt limit could come as early as today, aide says

Washington (CNN) -- [Breaking news alert, 2:49 p.m. ET]

President Barack Obama said he would support back pay for furloughed government workers once the government shutdown ends. "Absolutely. That's how we've always done it," he told reporters Tuesday at the White House.

[Breaking news alert, 2:46 p.m. ET]

President Barack Obama said Tuesday that the contention from some lawmakers that "maybe default wouldn't be that bad" is "irresponsible" and "out of touch with reality."

"My message to the world is the United States has always paid its bills and it will do so again. But I think they're not just looking at what I say, but also what Congress does," he said. "We're not going to calm creditors until they see that Speaker Boehner calls up a bill" that ends the government shutdown and raises the debt ceiling, he said.
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Links would be nice..... Wink

Anyway, here's bammy a few yrs ago. He's all talk, all hot air and all evil. 

Quote :

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies… America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.
Senator Barack Obama on March 20, 2006 (via NRO) addressing raising the debt ceiling during the Bush administration. He spoke today on the debt ceiling and miraculously found no fault in his leadership and danced around his votes against raising the debt ceiling when he was a Senator

wizbang blog
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

PostSubject: Re: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't think the Colonel meant to leave out links. Looks like he was in one of the editor modes that cuts links and such out automatically. I know this firsthand as I've been a "wrong editor mode" victim myself. Colonel has been pretty good with links since being asked to provide 'em. Any-who, I was able to noodle out the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Not that Obummer thinks he must abide by the Constitution, but in common sense terms the Constitution requires debt service to be made before anything else gets paid:

"Under the 14th amendment and applicable case law, the government is not allowed to default on the public debt, according to Rivkin.
“It means the following: that the default on public debt which, indeed, if it would occur, would be quite horrific, is a misnomer. It cannot happen, it will not happen, even if no debt increase of any kind takes place,” he said.
Commenting on the amendment, Rivkin explained: “(The) language of the14thh amendment is pretty clear. It applies only to the true public debt of the United States. It does not apply to the wide range of common litigations, and that point ought to be emphasized because I think there has been quite a bit of confusion about it.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/us-cannot-constitutionally-default-its-debt-says-constitutional-scholar#sthash.zX61lI3E.dpuf

HOWEVER; dick tater and friends are trying to twist it:

Obama Doesn’t Rule Out Using 14th Amendment To Raise The Debt Limit

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/10/obama-doesnt-rule-out-using-14th-amendment-to-raise-the-debt-limit/

I'm not a constitutional scholar but the 14th Amendment reads pretty clearly to me and everyone else not affiliated with the Dem run government gone wild. Its the household equivalent of the mortgage payment, I.e. before the US PAYS ANYTHING ELSE (vaca's, golf, wh hosted rap concerts etc.), it must make the debt service payments to avoid a default. However; Obama and Dems are now attempting to twist it and say that instead of forced spending cuts (because the debt must be paid FIRST), they can simply unilaterally increase the debt limit.
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm

For ONCE, forget about Limbaugh's rhetoric and attitude because he does a considerably better job of describing this web of lies than I did. This following BO's teleprompter reading this afternoon:

“What he said just is not true.”

That was Rush Limbaugh’s instantaneous reaction to President Obama’s Tuesday afternoon press conference where he continued to chide Republicans for the government shutdown and ramped up anti-GOP rhetoric as it pertains the debt limit fight.
“From start to finish what he said about the debt limit is not true,” Limbaugh said, sounding almost disgusted. He also used the term “over the top.”
“Someone has to go to the microphone and correct this a-sap,” he added. “What he just said about the debt limit, is– well I don’t know how to characterize it. It was dead wrong.” Later, he said he’s “lying” but then backed off.
Limbaugh’s issue? He says it’s wrong to think that if we don’t raise the debt limit the U.S. will default on it’s bills.
“It’s not even possible, folks,” he said, before explaining that the government collects enough revenue to pay our bills, which he characterized as paying the interest on our debt.
“I’m asking myself if we have ever had … a more dishonest president,” he added.
The only way we will default is if Obama refuses to follow the law, which … could happen,” Limbaugh said, citing the way Obamacare has been handled.
“I can’t tell you how bad this is. It’s beyond my ability without raising my voice and shouting. … I think it’s clear you’re not scared enough and so he’s out there really trying to scare you.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed   Obama willing to negotiate after shutdown, debt threat removed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: