Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sausage ideas?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 pm

I have a t-bone and a butterfly pork chop I could grind to make  a little sausage...  Any ideas? I also have some hatch and poblano peppers and an apple. Oh I do have some super hot asian peppers outside. What seasonings are used in a sausage?
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 pm

I do have a book but I don't take the time to read it. Lol
Back to top Go down
scottr99

scottr99

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Fennel, or Cumin seed.

I believe the Bible as the literal and completed Word of God!
Back to top Go down
researcher
Admin
researcher

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I've made sausage before. Go easy on the spices at first as a little goes a looooong way. Also,

USE THE BOOK

for the first few times until you are comfy with the process.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

!! FOXTROT JULIET BRAVO !!
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:55 pm

researcher wrote:
I've made sausage before. Go easy on the spices at first as a little goes a looooong way. Also,

USE THE BOOK

for the first few times until you are comfy with the process.
Use the book?! I'd have to put on my glasses and find some good lighting... What a bother. Smile I read fewer books now that I have to wear reading glasses. lol! 
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Scottr, Fennel and cumin together? It sounds weird but I'm going to try it. Not on the sausage, just a little in my m&p. Smile thanks 
Back to top Go down
scottr99

scottr99

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Delfi wrote:
Scottr, Fennel and cumin together? It sounds weird but I'm going to try it. Not on the sausage, just  a little in my m&p. Smilethanks 
No, not together, one or the other.  Sorry, I was just listing two possible choices. Hehe!

Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Salsiccia Fresca-otherwise known as 'Italian sausage' or Sicilian sausage.

Yield: Makes 8 pounds sausage
Prep Time: all darn day

6pounds boneless pork butt, preferably, or shoulder, with its fat, coarsely chopped or ground

2pounds pork fatback, rind removed and fat coarsely chopped or ground

6tablespoons fennel seed

2tablespoons sea salt

2tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2cups freshly grated pecorino cheese

1tablespoon red pepper flakes

1cup dry red wine

About 25 feet of hog casing
1. In a large bowl, toss together thoroughly the pork butt, fatback, fennel, salt, black pepper, pecorino, red pepper flakes, and wine, cover with plastic wrap, and leave refrigerated for 4 hours or overnight for the flavors to blend.
2. Open one end of the hog casing, fit it over the faucet in your kitchen sink, and place the remainder of the casing in a medium-size bowl in the sink. Turn the water on gently to wash out the casings. The casings are sold cleaned; you are merely washing away preserving salts and residue. Now you are ready to start stuffing.
3. Affix one end of the casing over the funnel attached to the sausage stuffing attachment of a stand mixer or meat grinder. Push the entirety of the casing onto the length of the funnel (it will contract and fit fine), leaving about 2 inches dangling from the end. Tie this end in a double knot.
4. Power grinder or mixer on and as the sausage stuffing begins to flow into the casing, it will push the casing off the funnel. Have a large bowl or platter ready to catch the sausages. Twist or tie off the sausage with kitchen twine to make links, or leave to make several very long sausages. Do not overstuff the sausage otherwise it will burst, either then and there, or during cooking. Also be careful that the sausage stuffing enters the casing continuously and evenly and that no air bubbles develop. If air bubbles do occur, it is better either to cut the sausage at that point and start a new one, by tying the end off, or to prick the air bubbles with a toothpick.
5. The sausages can be divided into portions of different or the same weights and frozen for later use in freezer bags for 2 to 4 months or you can cook them immediately. Refrigerate for not more than 2 days. If cooking them, place the sausages in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and, just as the water begins to bubble, reduce the heat to below a boil and poach the sausages for 10 minutes, if grilling or frying, or 40 minutes if serving them boiled.

Variation: 

Note:  For grilling sausages, prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill on low for 20 minutes. Grill the sausages for 45 minutes, turning frequently. (If using a charcoal fire, the sausages should be 6 to 8-inches away from the coals).
Back to top Go down
scottr99

scottr99

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 pm

scottr99 wrote:
Delfi wrote:
Scottr, Fennel and cumin together? It sounds weird but I'm going to try it. Not on the sausage, just  a little in my m&p. Smilethanks 
No, not together, one or the other.  Sorry, I was just listing two possible choices. Hehe!
Jeepers!!  I think I was trying to say Licorice, or Fennel.  Supposedly Licorice will raise renin levels in your body, and thereby blood pressure, so Fennel is chosen over licorice quite often.

I am sorry Delfi!

Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey Scottr! :)No problem, I've been thinking about it, trying to imagine what it would be like, I bet I have some fennel seeds out in the garden ( don't imagine a lush well tended garden, it's more of a dried out straggly garden Smile) Laughing  and  I always have cumin and my bp wouldn't mind a boost. Smile

I am going to try Q's (I love calling him that Smile) recipe, It sounds good and may get me out of reading that inch and a half thick book. And I'll put fennel seed in it too because I love fennel. thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sausage ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sausage ideas?   Sausage ideas? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sausage ideas?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: