Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wil

wil

Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 _71347994_slide_04_chernobyl_arch_464
(Artist's concept)

The finished structure will weigh about 29,000 tons and stand 110m tall and 257m wide. It must be capable of withstanding temperatures ranging from -43C to 45C and has a predicted life span of 100 years.

At 110m (360ft) tall, the structure could house the Statue of Liberty, and at 257m (843ft) wide, there would be room for a football pitch. There are acres of metal panels in the roof, to seal off the reactor and the dangerous mess inside. The whole lot will be held together by 680,000 heavy bolts.

Read on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25086097
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Good info Wil. My hat is off and always will be out of respect for those who saved the world from wormwood/chernobyll. (liquidators) Chopper pilot (33 of them I hear) fatality rate was 100%, good news is you're going home from Afghanistan, bad news is you're headed to a 'problem' we have in the Ukraine..........

Perhaps they should have contacted NASA to learn the ingredients of the paper thin 'aluminum sandwich' that majickly protected the 'astronauts' through the Van Allen radiation belts whilst on the way to the moon.....Houston we have a problem, we couldn't launch enough lead!!!!!!!!

Impossible for 'men' to put the genie back in the bottle...

hilarious hilarious hilarious hilarious hilarious hilarious hilarious 

It isn't funny; but its easier than crying.
Back to top Go down
wil

wil

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks quietobserver.  NASA couldn't help, everything about them is fake. lol

Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Wil I've recently discerned that very few actually 'read' that which is presented on this forum. Square your flag, mr. astronaut....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Last edited by jem on Sun May 25, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:21 pm

reported on that a while back with no roof.
but ya have to ask ... how long before it deteriorates and falls down?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015   Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chernobyl's arch: Sealing off a radioactive sarcophagus in 2015
Page 1 of 1