Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Researchers find leukemia cure

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Researchers find leukemia cure Empty
PostSubject: Researchers find leukemia cure   Researchers find leukemia cure I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Genetic engineering at what price? Are we changed? Nephilim, we may live forever....

Megan Terlecky, CBS Local 2 Anchor, megan.terlecky@cbslocal2.com
POSTED: 04:38 PM PDT Mar 21, 2013
Print Email

Researchers find leukemia cure LEUKEMIA-CURE-PKG-jpg

PALM DESERT, Calif. -
Doctors in New York said they may have found a cure for a deadly type of cancer. In a study published Wednesday, doctors said they were able to genetically alter the patient's own immune cells to fight the a deadly form of leukemia.

This revolutionary treatment stems from a very simple idea. Our bodies have their own ability to fight disease, it's called our immune system. However, it hasn't been strong enough to win the fight against cancer, that is until now.

"The changes with medical treatment have been extraordinary," said Paula Kennedy, the president and CEO of Gilda's Club.

It's difficult to treat acute Leukemia in adults, the survival rate is only 40 percent.

"I have several patients that have gone through gauntlets of chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants but what this trial does is maybe one day we could avoid bone marrow transplants and potentially cure the patient," said oncologist Dr. Henry Tsai at Eisenhower Medical Center.

The clinical trial focused five patients for whom chemotherapy failed. Doctors used a virus to inject genetic material into a their own white blood cells.

"By doing that, we are able to genetically engineer so that our cells start to recognize leukemia cells," said Tsai.

Those cells then attacked and destroyed all the cancer.

"It's almost like sending your soldiers for quick lessons on how to find the enemy and put them back to work," said Tsai.

All five patients in the study went into remission. Doctors said one became completely cancer free after just 8 days.

"All of these technologies are allowing us to have all of the new results the amazing results that I couldn't even imagine maybe five years ago," said Tsai.

It's exciting news especially for people at Glida's Club, a cancer support center in the desert.

"If this is any opportunity to help these people in their survivorship we were delighted," said Kennedy.

When will we see this cutting edge technology in the desert? While there is still a lot more research to be done, it’s not as far off as you might think.

"Because this is relatively revolutionary hopefully the regulation bodies could make it a fast pace, so I'm hoping maybe within a year or two it could be more of a standard treatment, but it is still in an early phase," said Tsai.

"Yes, there is a cost, yes it takes time, research takes time but, we are able to see the benefit of so many of the things they've worked on over the past 20 years," said Kennedy.

The therapy is right now only available through clinical trials. Dr. Henry Tsai said talk to your oncologist for treatment options.

http://www.kesq.com/news/Researchers-find-leukemia-cure/-/233092/19418816/-/3wtiglz/-/index.html
Back to top Go down
Proskuneo

Proskuneo

PostSubject: Re: Researchers find leukemia cure   Researchers find leukemia cure I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 am

While I do not want to live forever, I would like to live with a healthier immune system. As one who suffers from severe allergies I'm very much interested in finding a way to re-train my immune system. My immune system thinks dust is something that I should attack. Heck, my immune system even thinks my thyroid is a threat and is attacking that too. (I have hashimoto's thyroiditis). Or how about those with arthritis (my sister) whose immune systems attack joints and other organs. OR how about those that cannot get pregnant because their immune system thinks the new fetus is something to atttack. The list goes on and on.

I think this is a great miracle for us.

Ever walk into a drug store and have the revelation that everything in there was the answer to someone's prayer? I have.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: Researchers find leukemia cure   Researchers find leukemia cure I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:30 pm

As much as I hate gene modding etc. and all the scaries that come with it. A cure for cancer would be awesome. And hopefully it won't end in some horrible "I am Legend" sort of way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Researchers find leukemia cure   Researchers find leukemia cure I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: