Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank Empty
PostSubject: Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank   Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 am

Published: March 24, 2013

Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank 1223-stpeters-l

Pope Francis is to consider abolishing the Vatican Bank - which has been beset by a scandal over allegations of money-laundering - in a drive for greater transparency at the heart of the Catholic Church, according to a report by The Times in The Australian.

Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, who has been tipped as a possible secretary of state, or "Vatican prime minister", said Francis would weigh up appeals made by two cardinals on the eve of his election for the bank - formally known as the Institute for Works of Religion (IOR) - to be scrapped.

He said the Pope would be guided by a desire for "transparency . . . and faithfulness to international laws or rules in this field", including those on money-laundering.

"The Pope will consider some suggestions because during the general congregations (the formal meetings that preceded the conclave), some cardinals were intervening about the problems of the IOR," Archbishop Celli said.

The bank has been surrounded by controversy since the death of "God's banker" Roberto Calvi, the Italian financier found hanged under Blackfriars Bridge in London in 1982. Italian prosecutors are investigating allegations of money-laundering and a claim that one account was indirectly linked to the Sicilian mafia godfather Matteo Messina Denaro.

http://www.cathnews.com/article.aspx?aeid=35472
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank   Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 9:08 am

Ha! Where would all the American politicians (like Mitch McConnell) store their ill-gotten gains?

Cyprus?
Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

PostSubject: Re: Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank   Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Heehee, Rose. I wondered if the Vatican's TRANSPARENCY might
resemble Obama's.
Although, even if most first term business was conducted under the cover of a weekend,
this 2nd term is very much 'in your face'. Is that what 'official' transparency
is???

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank   Pope Francis to consider closing Vatican bank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1