Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Empty
PostSubject: precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’   precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:52 am

on November 7, 2013

• Ferry boat passengers traveling from Galiano Island to Tsawwassen in Canada came across a super-pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins Thursday

• An expert said it was a ‘rare and unique occurrence’ to see a pod that big in the Strait of Georgia

• They are normally found in coastal waters on the other side of Vancouver Island

A super-sized pod of nearly 1,000 dolphins was spotted Thursday in western Canada’s Strait of Georgia.

The dolphin pack was captured on video by passengers on board a BC Ferries vessel traveling from Galiano Island to Tsawwassen.

‘I’ve never seen anything like this before,’ Rob Maguire, the man who filmed the dolphins, told Global News. ‘The last time I saw an orca or dolphin was more than 15 years ago.’

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Article-2487400-19310D9100000578-407_634x347Exciting ride: A ferry boat traveling Canada’s Strait of Georgia witnessed a large group of almost 1,000 dolphins last Thursday

Tourists’ delight at dolphin super-pod sighting

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Video-undefined-1930F8E000000578-513_636x358
The species of dolphins filmed yesterday was determined to be the Pacific white-sided dolphin, according to Dr Lance Barrett-Lennard, head of whale and dolphin research at Vancouver Aquarium.

This species of dolphin is known to travel in large pods of 50 to 200 and as big as 2,000 but Dr Barrett-Lennard called their appearance in the Strait as a ‘rare and unique occurrence’.

Packs that big would normally be seen in coastal waters.

Mr Maguire said he spoke with BC Ferries workers who said they’d never seen ‘anything like this before’.

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Article-2487400-193131CC00000578-608_634x438Once in a lifetime: The dolphin pod was spotted in Canada’s Strait of Georgia and BC Ferries workers on the boat said they haven’t seen anything like it

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Article-2487400-19310D6500000578-416_634x349‘Rare and unique occurrence’: A dolphin expert told Global News it was strange to see such a large back in Sound waters

After about three minutes, the dolphins disappeared out of sight and the experience changed the mood of the ride.

‘It was a pretty quiet ferry ride until the dolphins turned up because no one was really talking to one another,’ Mr Maguire said. ‘But afterwards everyone was abuzz, strangers were talking with strangers and getting to know one another.’

Diane Williams was on the ferry and standing next to Mr Maguire when he took the video. She commented on the video when he posted it to YouTube.

‘Absolutely amazing,’ she said. ‘Moved me to tears. In 35 years of traveling to Mayne [Island] I have never seen such a sight before.’

Read more: 
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ Empty
PostSubject: Re: precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’   precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 am

Could be the radiation & inbound debris field. Look at the map, they've swam clear out of the Alaska/N. Pacific current. Smart little critters.
Back to top Go down
wil

wil

PostSubject: Re: precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’   precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I think they have sensed something not good, could be radiation in the water. Tsawwassen is a very beautiful place, I lived there for 14 yrs, only moved away 6 yrs ago because my boys went to the Univ in Vancouver.  Dolphins, whales, and orcas are seen in these waters occasionally but not this many, truly very strange.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’   precursor to a huge mega quake a THOUSAND dolphins gathered in a ‘super pod’ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1