Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more! Empty
PostSubject: US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more!   US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2014 12:08 pm

US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger

US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more! Rodman2
By Kristen Rodman, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
March 26, 2014; 10:05 AM
Share |

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-farmers-face-planting-issue/24695585
Despite the official start of spring, lingering effects of the winter season will cause planting delays this year.
While the South will be right on schedule weather-wise for prime planting with looming frost concerns, delays will become more and more likely with every mile heading north.
US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more! 650x366_03211412_spring-2014-planting-forecast

Frozen Ground, Soil to Create Delays

Coming off a frigid, snow-filled winter for areas from the Great Lakes to the Ohio Valley and Northeast, spring will shape up to be mostly cool and wet.
"Damp soil leftover from winter, melting snow and lagging temperatures mean a lot of places are going to have a slow planting period across the Midwest, northern Plains and the Great Lakes," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Dale Mohler said.
With corn and soybeans being the largest crops in the Midwest and Plains, which are planted typically in April and May, one of the most influential factors in when to plant is soil temperature.
"Soil temperatures must be warm enough to support whatever crop you are planting," Mohler said. "For corn that's 50 F or above and for soybeans it's 54 F or above."
Back to top Go down

US Farmers Face Planting Issues as Cold, Drought Linger.. warned ya! Less cost more!
Page 1 of 1