Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:34 pm

http://www.canaturalist.com/2013/09/13/and-then-there-were-none/

Notes from a California naturalist
Welcome to my world
Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! Cropped-Beach3-Version-2
Skip to content

• Home
  • About me
← The plague abates?
Well, maybe not →
And then there were . . . none
Posted on September 13, 2013 by algong
The last of my Pisaster ochraceus stars waited until today, three whole days after all of its conspecifics had died, to start ripping itself into pieces. This is the sight that greeted me when I checked on my animals this morning:
Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! IMG_2103-768x1024
My last Pisaster and its autotomized arm
©️2013 Allison J. Gong
I spent some time examining the severed arm because it is freakishly fascinating to watch autotomized parts continue on as though they were still attached to the main body. They literally don’t know that they’re dead.  I’ve seen almost completely eviscerated sea urchins lumber around a seawater table on about 10 tube feet for days before finally giving up the ghost. This arm remained very active for quite a while–at least an hour–before I gave up and threw it away.

While I had this severed arm in a bowl under the dissecting scope I thought I’d take a few photos of the surface. Beautifully complex animals, sea stars are, when you look at them up close.
Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! IMG_2106-768x1024
View through dissecting microscope of aboral surface of arm of Pisaster ochraceus.
©️2013 Allison J. Gong
Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! IMG_2114-1024x768
Oral surface of arm of Pisaster ochraceus, showing tube feet.
©️2013 Allison J. Gong
Meanwhile, the remaining 4/5 of the star continued to walk around the table. It ended up behind one of the quarantine tanks in which I had sequestered the bat stars, where over the course of the next couple of hours it dropped another arm. Because of its location I wasn’t able to get a decent photo of it, but here is a shot of the wound from the first autotomization:
Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! IMG_2122-1024x768
Wound caused by autotomy of an arm in Pisaster ochraceus.
©️2013 Allison J. Gong
And I’m not the only one at the lab dealing with this disease outbreak. The lab next door is losing a couple of stars, and the Seymour Center lost one of their Pycnopodia helianthoides (sunflower star) yesterday. And, I heard second-hand that a student in the Santa Cruz area saw some dying stars on a dive in the past few days. What happened in my seawater table over the past few weeks may be just the beginning of something really, really bad.
Share this:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Back to top Go down
nimbus

nimbus

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Bizarre!  What's causing this?
Back to top Go down
Delfi
Elite
Delfi

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 12:07 am

How gruesome, Sad It's called Pisaster's wasting disease..
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 am

Significantly worsened by the radiation in the water. The radiation cripples their immune systems leaving them susceptible to any and every plague and infliction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 am

The Entire Pacific Turning To A Dead Zone!!!

DO NOT EAT SEA FOOD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 am

The Entire Pacific Turning To A Dead Zone!!!

DO NOT EAT SEA FOOD
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

“We have reports from fishermen whose boats are surrounded by hundreds of dead turtles,” Roger Blanco, the lead investigator for the Guanacaste Conservation Area with SINAC told The Tico Times. “They say they are headed for shore.”

http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Hundreds-of-dead-sea-turtles-could-be-headed-for-Costa-Rica-s-northwestern-shores-officials-say_Wednesday-November-06-2013

"An elusive right whale has been spotted off the coast of British Columbia in Canada.
This is the second North Pacific right whale spotted in the area since June, an astonishing fact given that the last sighting before that was in 1951"

http://www.livescience.com/40919-right-whale-spotted-near-canada.html

They migrate to Japan in summer and are returning to BC radiated and dying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!   Ca. to Wash. STARFISH  RIPPING  THEMSELVES  APART!!!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ca. to Wash. STARFISH RIPPING THEMSELVES APART!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Watcher Forum :: Welcome! :: General Discussion-
Jump to: