Watcher Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Watcher Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chernobyl Ukraine

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

Chernobyl Ukraine Empty
PostSubject: Chernobyl Ukraine   Chernobyl Ukraine I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/bennett-ramberg-calls-attention-to-the-dangers-of-fighting-near-nuclear-power-stations

Interesting read. 15  reactors still running in Ukraine. Zaporizhia is still
the largest NPP in Europe.

Interesting "fog of war" comments. 

Sorry boss, in the fog of war we inadvertently ........
Back to top Go down
quietobserver
Super Elite
quietobserver

Chernobyl Ukraine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl Ukraine   Chernobyl Ukraine I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm

US Nuclear Fuel in Ukraine Risks Second Chernobyl – Scientists

"The use of US-made fuel in Soviet-designed reactors in Ukraine does not meet safety standards, the International Union of Veterans of Nuclear Energy and Industry said.
"We believe that it is a miracle that the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant had not yet faced any accident because of this fuel," the statement said. The use of the Westinghouse fuel in the Ukrainian reactors was considered “irresponsible and cynical” by the industry veterans.

http://en.ria.ru/world/20140425/189367268/US-Nuclear-Fuel-in-Ukraine-Risks-Second-Chernobyl--Scientists.html

They're referencing the US MIC reprocessing cold war era warheads for use as reactor fuel, known as mixed oxide fuel, MOX. (much of Fukushima is/was MOX fuel)

"One attraction of MOX fuel is that it is a way of utilizing surplus weapons-grade plutonium, an alternative to storage of surplus plutonium, which would need to be secured against the risk of theft for use in nuclear weapons"

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Uranium-Resources/Military-Warheads-as-a-Source-of-Nuclear-Fuel/
Back to top Go down
Dove
Super Elite
Dove

Chernobyl Ukraine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl Ukraine   Chernobyl Ukraine I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 am

QO hits a homer. "Sorry boss, in the fog of war we inadvertently ........"

And here I thought environmental pollution was cow farts and fireplaces.  Silly me...

I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details.
            A Miracle is when God makes His Reality our Experience              

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chernobyl Ukraine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chernobyl Ukraine   Chernobyl Ukraine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chernobyl Ukraine
Page 1 of 1